1. Fill out the Petition for Change of Name (Form NC-100), including the Attachment to
    Petition (Form NC-110) and make 2 copies of each.
  2. Fill out the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (Form NC-120) and make 2
  3. Some courts require you to fill out local forms to ask for a name change, like a Criminal
    Background Information Form. Ask your local court if there are local forms you have to
    fill out.
  4. Fill out the Civil Case Cover Sheet (Form CSM-010).
  5. File all your papers with the copies in the court in the county where you live.
  6. Publish the Order to Show Cause in a newspaper of general circulation once per week
    for 4 weeks in a row—this list is available in the section below by scrolling down
    (subject to change). Not all newspapers are valid, and the fees they charge are
    different, so call around.
  7. Go to your court date and take the proof of publication from the newspaper. You will
    also need the Decree Changing Name (Form NC-130) for the judge to sign.
  8. If approved and once the court issues the Decree Changing Name, get a certified copy
    from the court. You will need this to change all your legal documents, including your
    birth certificate, social security card, and other papers like passport.
Fresno County Small Claims
and Civil Advisory
a project of the BBB in Partnership with Fresno Superior Court
Steps To Change Your Own Name
Adobe Reader 6.0 or new is required to view and print the judicial forms that are in PDF format. Forms under the
label fillable may be filled out electronically. There are also links for non fillable forms.  You may also down load the
PDF file to your computer’s desktop by right-clicking on the form number link and selecting the “Save Target As” of
“Save link As.” Next, open the file with
Abode Reader after the file completes downloading.