Emancipation is a legal way for children to become adults before they're 18. Once a child is
emancipated, his or her parents don't have custody or control of him or her anymore. If you
are emancipated, you can do some things without your parent's permission, like get medical
care, apply for a work permit, sign up for school or college and live where you want to. The
downside is that if you are emancipated you give up the right to be supported by your

Even if you are emancipated you must go to school, you can't get married without your
parent's permission and you will go to juvenile court if you break the law.

If you decide you want to get emancipated there are 3 ways:
  • Get married. You need permission from your parents and the court.
  • Join the armed forces. You need permission from your parents and the armed forces
    must accept you.
  • Get a declaration of emancipation from a judge. To get a declaration of emancipation,
    you have to prove ALL of these things:
  • You are at least 14 years old.
  • You don't want to live with your parents. Your parents don't mind if you
    move out.
  • You can handle your own money.
  • You have a legal way to make money.
  • Emancipation would be good for you.

Remember, emancipation is usually forever. But the court can cancel your emancipation if you lie
to the court or if you can't support yourself anymore.

Prior to filing for emancipation, you should consider the other options including going to
counseling or mediation with you parents, live with another adult or make an agreement with
your parents to live somewhere else.
Petition for Declaration of
Emancipation of Minor, Order
Prescribing Notice, Declaration of
Emancipation, and Order Denying
Notice of Hearing-Emancipation of
Emancipation of Minor Income
and Expense Declaration
Declaration of Emancipation of
Minor After Hearing
Short description of court form.
Only able to PRINT forms in this row.
Able to fill-out online and print forms in this row.
Click here for the steps to get a declaration emancipation.
Fresno County Small Claims
and Civil Advisory
a project of the BBB in Partnership with Fresno Superior Court
Emancipation Page
Adobe Reader 6.0 or new is required to view and print the judicial forms that are in PDF format. Forms under the
label fillable may be filled out electronically. There are also links for non fillable forms.  You may also down load the
PDF file to your computer’s desktop by right-clicking on the form number link and selecting the “Save Target As” of
“Save link As.” Next, open the file with
Abode Reader after the file completes downloading.  
Samples of forms with examples of sections that need to be fill-out.