1. Fill out the Petition for Change of Name (Form NC-100), including the Attachment to
    Petition (Form NC-110). You need one Attachment for each child whose name you want
    to change.
  2. Both parents must sign each Attachment to Petition.
  3. Fill out the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (Form NC-120).
  4. Fill out the Civil Case Cover Sheet (Form CM-010).
  5. File all your forms with at least 2 copies of each in the court in the county where your
    child lives.
  6. Publish the Order to Show Cause in a newspaper of general circulation once per week
    for 4 weeks in a row—ask your court for a list of newspapers. Not all newspapers are
    valid, and the fees they charge are different, so call around.
  7. Go to the court date and take the proof of publication from the newspaper. You will
    also need the Decree Changing Name (Form NC-130) for the judge to sign.
  8. If approved and once the court issues your Decree Changing Name, get a certified
    copy from the court. You will need this to change your child's birth certificate, social
    security card, and other papers like passport.
Steps To Take To Ask The Court To Change The Name Of A Child When Both Parents Agree
Adobe Reader 6.0 or new is required to view and print the judicial forms that are in PDF format. Forms under the
label fillable may be filled out electronically. There are also links for non fillable forms.  You may also down load the
PDF file to your computer’s desktop by right-clicking on the form number link and selecting the “Save Target As” of
“Save link As.” Next, open the file with
Abode Reader after the file completes downloading.  
Fresno County Small Claims
and Civil Advisory
a project of the BBB in Partnership with Fresno Superior Court